Nomadic Consultants Ltd
Covent Garden on Wiki
"The area was fields, settled in the 7th century when it became the heart of the Anglo-Saxon trading town of Lundenwic, then returned to fields after Lundenwic was abandoned at the end of the 9th century. By 1201 part of it had been walled off by Westminster Abbey for use as arable land and orchards.
Referred to as "the garden of the Abbey and Convent", and later "the Covent Garden", it was seized by Henry VIII and granted to the Earls of Bedford in 1552. The 4th Earl commissioned Inigo Jones to build some fine houses to attract wealthy tenants. Jones designed the Italianate arcaded square along with the church of St Paul's.
The design of the square was new to London and had a significant influence on modern town planning, acting as the prototype for new estates as London grew."